Thursday, July 28, 2011

I want to do Clarinet repair

Yesterday I went to the band camp of the school where I give privates and I was given a wrong time about the sectionals so I missed them :( very upsetting!!!!!!! So there is this new young clarinetist or who is barely learning... So I asked the teacher if I can take her to the side and help her out. Yes, this would be considered a lesson or longer but I did it free of charge, why? I was already there and I felt I had to do something...
So, there are a lot of fingering issues but when she gets a sound out it's pretty good, better than some who already play. But, now we have to teach her everything else.

Anyways, I was  checking the clarinet for leeks... air links but when I press everything and test it, it was ok... but she wasn't able to make much sound so I decided to try it out. It worked ok for a little and then as I was going to the lower notes it was working but those notes worked fine with the register key but as I was going higher in range they weren't working...
of course, being the teacher to my specified instrument I can't just leave the instrument like that... it was the e-flat side key, it was slightly open and it wouldn't quite seal. I took the keys off and put them back but it wasn't sealing. I didn't know what to do a rubber band would be a quick fix but guess what, we had no rubber bands. I found this little wire thing my son takes from the stores (you knows those to close the lil grocery bags) well I just in a ghetto way closed it and the key couldn't be opened... I told her not to worry about it and I would talk to the director to get his repair man to look at it... but I had 30 minutes until they had a break but the clarinet worked.

(this starter repair kit is ok...it comes with a lil knife as well but the pads don't work from here... you need pads that would promote leaking air. I have my student clarinet with these pads and I can't get it to play. medium woven clarinet pads would be ok <-- you have to be careful whether they can will glue or you need it and taking the key, out and using the lighter and not burning the pad or a quick fix can also be fish paper to help make the pad seal.)

I was just thinking and thinking time came and I told him about it and said the repair man wasn't available until next week. There was no rush but even a new student deserves to have a playing instrument. After I told him I decided to give it a go one more time... I took out the keys once again but I tightened the spring this time and bend it just slightly. And it finally locked but there was a clicking sound... I hate when they keys hit each other... Now, I thought I might have a little cork in my instrument case but didn't... so I found a piece of paper but I needed glue or something sticky, finally found tape so that actually fixed the key...
My freshman year in college I took instrument repair as my community service project and it was with my first clarinet teacher... we all learned about different instruments but we all focused mainly on our personal ones. Now, year later I'm still applying a little of what I learned but I would like to take an actual course to learn more about repairs. I could even make extra money doing it.
i have so many interests and loves, I just wish there was more of me to be able to do and accomplish it all and still be happy. C
Clarinet repair would be fun and a joy! I could take it apart, clean it, and just enjoy the puzzle until or putting the pieces back together while trying to figure out the problem.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment